Monday, September 30, 2013

130921 Heaven Gate; Penang; Food Review on New Menu

Guendeline who writes a lot of food reviews got invited to Heaven Gate for a food review on the new menu. It was so nice of her to invite me and my sister along. We met during a bloggers' event few months ago. :)

It was my second time there, my first time was during WinNee's birthday, which I have not blogged about it yet. This time, I was lucky enough to be able to try the cuisines and everything was so good! Even food that I usually don't like to eat surprises me as well as my sister, the more picky eater. haha.

-----------
The place has a very good atmosphere and has two floors. Upstairs has sofas and a more relaxed atmosphere, more like lounge whereas downstairs is more like a restaurant. 
To me, the price is reasonable because the food has quality. (attached menu at end of post)
Here we go, details and pictures below: 

Classic Onion Clear Soup  RM8.90
I liked this one! Being an onion fan... there's definitely enough onions for me. 
It tasted like black pepper with onions and it's so my taste! Not too heavy not too light.
The garlic bread was crunchy as well.


Cream of Pumpkin Soup RM10.90
I never liked pumpkin but for some reason I like this soup. lol.
The taste was so special and it's creamy but not too creamy until you will feel too full. 
Not too sweet either, just nice and balanced.


Lamb Shank RM68
The meat just fell of the bone which tells how tender and well cooked it is! So tasty and delicious. Liked the sauce too! Lamb shank fans must try! Not to forget, the mash potatoes were just nice as well. Definitely a fulfilling dish.


Laksa Pesto RM24
This one was seriously so gooooood. One of my top favourites for the day. If you know me, you would know I cannot stand the smell of laksa and I don't eat laksa so I was sceptical about this dish at first. But then, when I tasted it, it was something I have never tasted before. Super special. The smell wasn't "smelly" to me. Maybe if you like Carbonara, you will like this one, it's similar in the sense that there's a rich/thick taste to it. 

It may look small in above picture but the portion was definitely enough.

King Prawn Grilled Chicken RM38
One of my favourites as well. Prawn wrapped in grilled chicken.The chicken was so delicious especially the sauce matches so well with everything. The chicken wasn't too soft or too hard, just nice and the chicken skin, hiak hiak, so awesome.
If you aren't feeling experimental and you like chicken or prawns, go for this one! Highly recommended.


Crispy Baked Sea Bass served with Cream of Almond Sauce RM38
First thing came to mind when I tried the sea bass was woah, so fresh.
Perfect softness and the crispy skin was so good.
They use fish that aren't kept frozen for super long like most restaurants and I have to say, the fish quality is superb.  Dip the fish with the almond sauce and it tasted refreshing and different. Good kind of different.
The chef herself also said that fish is her speciality and it is what she cook best.

Roast Duck Breast RM58
Another top favourite. This dish was highly recommended and of course it didn't disappoint.
The meat was tender and when you dip the meat in the sauce, it was flavourful and not too greasy.
Comes with mash potatoes just like other dishes but also with sweet potatoes. I like!
We finished this dish so fast. hahah


Dessert time!

Cream Brulee RM10.90
Words cannot describe how good this is. lol. Seriously, all of us were like omg omg so nicee.
The caramel layer on top was crunchy crunchy and beneath it was the soft milk texture custard.
Well done well made.

Orange Crepes served with Vanilla Ice-Cream RM16.90
The mixture of orange made the vanilla ice cream less bland. I like it a lot as the orange sweet and sourness made me feel good after all the food. Good dessert to try after having your meal.

A picture of Guen taking pictures. 

Marble Cheese Cake RM12.90
Happiest person was my sister. She loves cheese cake and this was good, definitely. Not too much cheese until you feel like very bloated, but rich enough to qualify.



  



As if the delicious food have not already attracted you, on Saturday night 7.30pm-10.30pm, there will also be a live band playing the saxaphone and keyboard, making it the perfect place to relax, dine and listen to music during the weekend. 

---------


1A Lebuh King. George Town, Penang
012-477 5979

Opening Hours:
Mon - Thu: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 12:00 am
Fri - Sun: 12:00 pm - 12:00 am



At first I didn't think of attaching the menu here as well, but I think it is better, for your convenience. Click to enlarge for a clearer view.

Sister, Guendeline, Me and KarMun photobombing us. 


3 comments:

●'''cEci'''● said...

look nice!

Chiew Nee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chiew Nee said...

wow all the food look so good!!! =D

Heaven Knows